Roger Plawker serves as Chair of the Attorney Ethics & Professional Misconduct practice group. He practices in the areas of business litigation, construction litigation, attorney ethics, criminal defense, intellectual property litigation and licensing, and employment law. He has represented one of New Jersey’s largest commercial real estate developers and owners in a number of disputes related to their business, including construction, land use, bidding, and partnership matters. Roger has successfully completed major software licensing transactions with numerous U.S. and global financial and accounting institutions.
In addition to an undergraduate degree from Vassar College and a law degree from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, Roger holds a degree in Russian language from the Pushkin Institute in Moscow. Roger also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Sybil R. Moses, assignment judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County, during the 1992-1993 term.
Administrative Law - In re Hartz Mountain Industries, Inc., 2006 WL 2371348 (App. Div. 2006) (challenge against the NJSEA’s development of Xanadu)
- Insurance Fraud - Selective Ins. Co. of America v. Medical Alliances, LLC,362 N.J. Super. 392 (Law Div. 2003) (represented physicians and related entities against allegations of self-referral)
- Attorney Ethics - In re Gallo, 178 N.J. 115 (2003) (established new limitations on the use of hearsay in ethics proceedings)
- Trademark and Copyright Litigation - Hitachi Maxell v. DTC Computer Supplies, 2004 WL 2558651 (D.N.J. 2004) (successfully represented alleged trademark infringer) & The Carlisle Group, Inc. v. Confidential (obtained settlement of $275,000 for software developer whose software was used without a license)
- Labor/Antitrust - Farmland Dairies, Inc. v. Milk Drivers et al.(successfully represented dairy industry competitor-defendant in this collective bargaining labor dispute and alleged antitrust conspiracy)
- Aviation - Bobian v. CSA Czech Airlines, 93 Fed. Appx. 406 (3d Cir. 2004); 232 F.Supp.2d 319 (D.N.J. 2002); 222 F.Supp.2d 598 (D.N.J. 2002) (established new limitations on the definition of “bodily injury” under the Warsaw Convention)
- Employment and Federal Jurisdiction - Menoken v. McNamara, 88 Fed. Appx. 550 (3d Cir. 2004); 213 F.R.D. 193 (D.N.J. 2003) (successfully represented corporate defendant and its officers in this wrongful termination litigation and established clarification on aspects of federal question jurisdiction on removal and finality under Fed.R.Civ.P. 60)
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2009-2022
- Ruth B. Doyle, Award for outstanding service to the law school community
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- NJ Cannabis Blog, 1.5.18
Community & Professional
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association, Editor, Essex County Bar Association Chronicle
- Trustee of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- President Northern New Jersey Squash Racquets Association
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
B.A., Vassar College, 1988
J.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1992, Note and Comment Editor of the Wisconsin International Law Journal
Pushkin Institute, Moscow, Russia, Teaching Certificate 1988